Thursday, August 1, 2013

My Inspiration Journal

Old hardcover books are one of my favorite things.  Not only are they cool looking, but I love to hollow them out and use them as journals.  Sometimes I don't even hollow them out (like in this one), but I just start adding pictures straight to the pages.  Sometimes I feel like I forget the inspiring images that I have saved to a folder on my computer.  Believe me - I have folders and folders of saved inspiration photos, but there's something special about having a book to flip through.  Here are a few of the pages from this year's journal.


















This journal is now full, but I just made a new writing journal from an old book the other day.  I'm starting to get into writing a lot more in journals, instead of pictures.  I found an old diary I kept when I was in the 3rd grade.  Sometimes I forget how much I've changed, and it's such a cool reminder to look back and read some of the things that I've written in the past.  

  My new journal looks exactly like the 2nd to last picture in this post - only that's going to be the style of the whole journal.  I recommend making one yourself!  All you have to do is find an old hardcover book, take a glue stick and paste a new piece of paper over the words - then write!  It's always so satisfying when a journal is completely filled.  You might even remember this inspiration journal I made and wrote about a couple years back.

If you're able to find time to keep a journal I highly recommend it!

21 comments:

  1. What a cool idea. Each one looks like a pretty little magazine layout!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really awesome! I'm only always too scared to harm my magazines by cutting in it, so I've just got them piled up in my room :) And things on the net I just save in a special folder. Even though this has way more charm....

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely! This is inspiring to make a journal like this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly stunning, Esther. Thank you for always inspiring me - you are a breath of fresh air, always.

    Kait

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats beautiful! you have the best ideas! I'd love to know where you got this one from--is it yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carolynn! Oh thank you so much for your kind complement! Yes, this idea is my own. I'm sure it's been done before though. It's too much fun to not have been thought of before by someone else.

      Delete
  6. Cool. I love this. I'll have to try it. Also, have you tried out washi tape? It's that cool colored masking tape. It's another fun way to put pictures into journals. I got some for Christmas, so sometimes I use it in my sketch books. It's getting easier to find--even Martha Stewart has some through Michael's, so I bet you could find some at Hobby Lobby (love that place--I always have to visit when I'm in the Midwest).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I haven't heard of washi tape before. It sounds fantastic and definitely like something that I would use often. I will have to find some and try it out. Thank you for the wonderful recommendation!

      Delete
  7. What a great idea, Esther. Your journal looks wonderful! I think I should also try to make such a journal. Maybe I will find a pretty hardcover book in our attic or on the next fleamarket :)
    Thank you for inspiring me ;)

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cute, I love your journal really inspirational. I love how it is an old book, really interesting way of presenting thoughts

    Sasha
    obsedeepalamode.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is basically journal p*rn for me. I love all things to do with magazine clippings, writing, old books, and paper, so when those things combine it is magical. Not to mention that my process books help me get a scholarship to study art so they are super important! Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could do this with my books- I always find the pictures to be too big. Yours are amazing definitely inspirational xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful way to keep inspiration flowing! Thank you for sharing this idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so inspirational <3

    Hayley xx
    www.addictionstoshopping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's an awesome idea - take an already written book and use it as a scrapbook/journal. The book already has character and it costs much less than buying a notebook with expensive paper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. THAT'S MY FAVORITE POEM, EVER (the one in the second to last picture). i read the first line, and i recognized it. i even did a post on my blog about it. I'm extremely excited. this makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's such a beautiful, heart-breaking poem. I first saw it when I read Perks and it struck a chord. I'm glad someone else appreciates it enough to notice it!

      Delete
  15. I loved this so much that I've already started my own one! Not as nice a book as yours, Horses and Ponies from my younger years! I was wondering if you had any particular website or magazines that you find good for interesting imagery? I also wanted to thank you for helping me find a way to deal with my ever growing collection of magazine clippings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that makes me so excited that you've started an inspiration book! They are so much fun to create. Teen Vogue will always be one of my first loves. Boo George is such an amazing photographer and this past years he's been doing a lot with teen vogue. W magazine is also great and of course Vogue. ID and Surface Magazine is wonderful for avant garde inspiration. Frankie is a wonderful online magazine, and so is Dujour. I think Dujour has changed a little though in the past year, but the old issues are phenomenally beautiful. I hope that helps! Also let me know when your book is finished. I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So wonderful and very inspiring! !

    ReplyDelete